Packed with veggies and topped with your favorite cheese, these couscous stuffed peppers are a tasty and nutritious dinner.
Vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers are one of my favorite weeknight dishes. On days when I want something filling but not too heavy, I love the simplicity of being able to throw whatever I can find in my pantry into crisp bell peppers before baking them to perfection in the oven.
There are so many delicious ways to make stuffed peppers. Whether you’re a meat eater or a strict vegetarian, it only takes a few ingredients and about an hour to create these mouthwatering peppers from start to finish.
What to put in stuffed peppers
Typically, stuffed peppers are filled with a combination of veggies, a grain, and protein all mixed together and spiced with Mexican-style flavors. Try some of these options to mix up your stuffed pepper filling:
Grains: white rice, brown rice, couscous, quinoa, barley
Proteins: black beans, pinto beans, ground beef, ground turkey, ground or shredded chicken
Veggies: tomatoes, tomato sauces, corn, onions, spinach, zucchini
Other ideas: lentils, chickpeas, vegetarian/vegan ground meat alternatives, tofu
Preparing and assembling stuffed peppers
First, you’ll need to prep the bell peppers. Slice the tops off, then using a paring knife, remove the ribs and seeds. Give the peppers a good rinse and pat them dry. Place the peppers in a shallow baking dish, cut sides up.
If you prefer, you can also slice your bell peppers in halves at this point to make more servings.
Next, you’ll prep the filling. If you’re using a grain or legume that needs to be cooked, like couscous, cook it according to package directions. Brown your meat or meat alternative, if using, then drain off any excess fat that remains.
Place your grains, legumes, meat or meat alternatives into a large bowl. Add your choice of veggies, sauces, and/or beans, then gently toss everything together to combine.
Spoon the filling into the peppers until they’re stuffed to the tops, but not overflowing.
Finally, top your stuffed peppers with your favorite cheese (if desired), and bake.
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked couscous
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain!)
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2-3 tbsp taco seasoning
- Cheddar or feta cheese for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the bell peppers and pat dry. Slice the peppers in half, length-wise, then remove the seeds and ribs. Arrange the pepper halves in a shallow baking dish, insides facing upward.
- In a large bowl, make the filling by gently tossing together the cooked couscous, beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, cilantro, and taco seasoning.
- Spoon the filling into the peppers.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese over the top, then bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and the peppers are softened.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 1341mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 13gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g