If you’ve never mixed your own taco seasoning at home, now’s the time to start! This Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe is quick and easy to make, and tastes SO much more authentic than the store-bought stuff!
Homemade Taco Seasoning is so much easier to make than you might think. In fact, you probably already have everything you need in your spice cabinet. And if you don’t, you can easily find the components at any local grocer.
Making seasoning mixes at home is so much better than buying them already packaged in the store. You get to control the spice level and amount of sodium. Plus, store-bought mixes sometimes come with added preservatives and fillers that our bodies don’t need. Yuck!
I have been trying my hand at making lots of different homemade pantry staples, and this taco seasoning is simple and fun to mix!
Ingredients in Taco Spice Mix
- Chili powder
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
How to Make Taco Seasoning at Home
The method for making this quick taco spice blend really isn’t even a method at all. Heck, it can hardly be classified as a recipe. It’s just so easy! Here’s what to do:
- Measure out all of the different spices and add them to a bowl.
- Whisk together until thoroughly combined. You can also pour it into a jar (use a small funnel for easy cleanup), then tightly secure the lid, and shake the heck out of it.
- Store in a cool, dry place in a spice jar with a lid or other airtight container.
- Sprinkle over meats before cooking or spoon into taco meat while cooking in a skillet. Then serve, and enjoy!
How long does taco seasoning stay fresh?
Your homemade taco seasoning will stay fresh for up to 6 months if stored properly. Always store spices in a cool, dry place to ensure that no moisture gets inside. Otherwise you may be left with hardened clumps of spice.
It’s also helpful to keep your spices and seasoning mixes out of direct light. Direct sunlight and artificial light can cause your spices to fade and lose flavor.
How much is in a packet of taco seasoning?
The average store-bought taco seasoning contains enough spice mix for about 6 servings, or roughly 12 portions of taco meat.
This easy taco spice mix makes double that, so you can either make a bigger batch of taco meat, or save half for later. I like to do that, or even double the recipe so I always have some on hand!
Try these other homemade pantry recipes!
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
1. Measure all ingredients and add to a bowl.
2. Mix together thoroughly to combine.
3. Store in an airtight container or spice jar with a lid in a cool, dry place.
4. When ready to use, sprinkle over meat, poultry, or fish before or after cooking.
1. This taco seasoning has a medium spice level. To make it mild, omit the red pepper flakes, or increase the amount of the pepper flakes to add spice.
2. If stored properly in a cool, dry space, seasoning will stay fresh for up to 6 months.
3. Makes 12 servings, or about enough to equal two store-bought packets of taco seasoning.
4. Each serving yields around two taco sized portions of seasoned meat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 7Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Disclosure: This content contains affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon associates program I earn at no additional cost to you when qualifying purchases are made.