This icy, creamy confection is the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Velvety vanilla ice cream, buttery caramel, and slow cooked cinnamon apples are swirled together to create the most scrumptious milkshake that’ll have you salivating for more.
If an apple pie milkshake sounds like the perfect mashup of two all-American desserts, then boy have I got a recipe for you.
This apple pie milkshake concoction combines the warm spicy comfort of cinnamon with ooey-gooey caramel apple sauce and sweet vanilla ice cream.
Don’t forget a dollop of whipped cream on top! My cinnamon & honey whipped cream recipe would be the perfect topping for this comforting milkshake.
Read below to learn how to make this unbelievably tasty dessert.
Caramel Apple Sauce
The first step to making an amazing apple pie milkshake is to create the rich caramel sauce that will turn an average vanilla shake into
Start by tossing finely diced apples into a sauce pan.
Add butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, and sauté until the apples are softened a thick, brown sauce forms.
Add cream and cook, stirring constantly until you have a sweet, gooey caramel.
It should look just like the photo above.
Be sure to allow your caramel apple sauce to cool to room temperature before making your milkshake.
You’ll add the sauce to your blender with ice cream and milk, and you’ll want your caramel sauce to be cooled so that you don’t end up with a thin, melted ice cream mess.
How to Make a Milkshake at Home
To make a killer milkshake at home, you only need a few things:
- A blender
- Ice cream
- Something to add flavor to your shake (in this case, our caramel apple sauce)
Making a Milkshake Step by Step
First, fill your blender with your ice cream flavor of choice. You should measure 2-3 scoops of ice cream per serving.
Next, spoon the cooled caramel sauce into the blender.
Finally, add milk and blend until you get a thick, but drinkable, delicious milkshake consistency.
Pour your caramel apple pie milkshake into a glass, garnish with some fancy toppings, and pop in a cute straw.
I like to add a hearty helping of whipped cream, a dusting of cinnamon, and a slice or two of fresh apple to make my apple pie milkshake look extra fancy.
It just enhances the flavor, am I right?
I hope that you love this nostalgic and comforting recipe just as much as I do!
If you’ve tried this recipe and you’re feeling so inclined, be sure to add a star rating and a review below!
More delicious desserts to try:
- Thick and Creamy Hot Chocolate
- Oven Roasted Pears with Cinnamon Caramel Sauce
- Cinnamon & Honey Whipped Cream
- Butterscotch Brickle Cookies
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced very small
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream (about a pint)
- 1 cup cold milk of your choice
- graham cracker crumbs, whipped cream, caramel sauce, and apple slices for garnish
For the caramel apple sauce:
- Place a saucepan on the stove over low-medium heat.
- Add the apples, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stirring frequently, cook until the brown sugar has dissolved and the apples are softened.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the heavy cream and vanilla extract to the pan, and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid mixture resembles a thick caramel.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
For the milkshake:
- Add the ice cream, milk, and caramel apple mixture to a blender.
- Blend until just combined.
- Pour into two 12 oz. glasses. Garnish with desired toppings, and serve.
- Caramel sauce can burn quickly! Be sure to watch & stir constantly while it cooks. Otherwise, you may end up with bitter, gritty caramel. Yuck!
- If your caramel sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with more cream. Whisk or stir more heavy cream into the mixture a teaspoon at a time until you’ve achieved your desired thickness.
- To make your presentation more fancy (like in the photos), consider lining the bottom of your milkshake glasses with a layer of graham cracker crumbs. Next, pour your milkshake into the prepared glass, then top with whipped cream. Generously drizzle caramel sauce over the whipped cream, sprinkle more graham cracker crumbs on top, and garnish with freshly sliced apple and a fun paper straw.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 967Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 122gFiber: 8gSugar: 101gProtein: 14g